• Over 60,000 people suffer from Crohn’s disease in the UK.
• There are approximately 5,000 new cases diagnosed each year.
• The number of people with Crohn’s disease is rising, particularly among the young.
• The illness can occur at any age but most frequently starts between the ages of 15 and 40,
and later at around 60.
• So far, the causes are not known.
• Crohn’s disease is a chronic (ongoing) condition.
• At this time treatment, through medication or surgery, can help control the condition but
there is no cure.